Linux is a very different operating system according to the Microsoft operating system. Linux has a very Complicated history with different hardware platform. Linux has different types of file systems that are very different from another operating system in the world.
Linux support number of file system because Linux Works on VFS (Virtual File System) that is known as abstraction Layer between the kernel and the program in user space that issues on the file system Commands. VFS program runs inside the Kernel . The VFS avoids the duplication of the code in the Internal Layer.
Ext2 was the standard file system for linux until the introduction of ext3.It was introduced with the 1.0 kernel in 1993.Ext2 is flexible,can handle file system up to 4 TB,and supports long filenames up to 1012 characters,it has sparse super blocks feature which increase file system performance.
Ext3 (Extended 3 file system) provides all the features of ext2,and also features journaling and backward compatibility with ext2.The backward compatibility enables you to still run kernals that are only ext2-aware with ext3 partitions.we can also use all of the ext2 file system tuning,repair and recovery tools with ext3 also you can upgrade an ext2 file system to an ext3 file system without losing any of your data.
Ext3’s journaling feature speeds up the amount of time it takes to bring the file system back to a sane state if it’s not been cleanly unmounted (that is,in the event of a power outage or a system crash).
1. Squid Proxy servers are software applications that run on your firewall machine in order to provide indirect Internet access to your network. 2.(i.e) buying a single ip or net connection from ISP and giving internet connection to all the clients in that network is called as Proxy settings. 3.In Linux, Squid is the package […]
To access the ntfs partition in the linux machine.
1. you should have Internet connection on your machine
2. login from a root user and write this command on any Terminal
3. Install the rpm which is downloaded from the last step : rpm -ivh rpmforge-release-0.3.6-1.el5.rf.i386.rpm
4. Now Install Required Packages with the help of Yum Server
#yum install fuse fuse-ntfs-3g dkms dkms-fuse
5. Now mount your ntfs partitions according to your need
6. Append in the Fstab File
ntfs-3g defaults 0 0 (Then save The file )
Now you can access the Ntfs Partition very Easily
Best of Luck